There's A Skunk In My Home: How Long Will The Smell Last?
A skunk’s spray is a little difficult to miss. The smell is very potent and the last thing you want is for the smell to sneak into your home. The first and most important step is to make sure there is no skunk inside your home or around your property. Consider skunk removal services to remove the animal safely and get you one step closer to eliminating that awful odor. Read this article further to learn more about skunk removal, how long their smell lasts and what are the best ways to get rid of the smell.
What Are The Best Methods For Skunk Removal?
Wildlife seeks shelter because they are looking for two things, food and security. Unfortunately for homeowners, that shelter may be in or underneath your house. Skunks are non-aggressive, intelligent and some people even have them as pets but that doesn’t mean you should keep a wild one for yourself as the new family pet. However, the problem with them around your home is that you have a higher risk of being sprayed; they carry diseases, dig holes in your yard and make a mess around your property. The good new is, there is a way to prevent these critters from setting up camp under your home. The best way to remove skunks is to not remove them yourself. Too many variables are involved that can put you in danger like risks of disease, getting bitten or killing the animal in the process.
Wildlife Control Services always strive to provide the customer and the wildlife with the safest and most effective management techniques at our disposal. We use ecologically sound and integrated control techniques in resolving human and animal conflicts. One area that Wildlife Control Services focuses on is Integrated Wildlife Management or IWM. IWM means looking at the whole picture in a given situation and combining several strategies for eliminating the problem.
How Long Does The Smell Last?
The length of time varies in different situations like if it’s sprayed on your dog or cat, if it’s sprayed under your deck or shed, or even if it’s been hit by a car near your home. However here are some averages based on different variables:
- If a skunk sprays in your home, it can last for several months if it goes untreated.
- If a skunk sprays in your home and you treat it right away, usually the smell will be strong for the first week or so and slowly dissipate over time.
- If your dog or cat was the one “skunked” the smell can last from anywhere to a week to a month, depending if you take steps rid your pet of the smell.
If a significant amount of time has gone by and you still happen to smell the odor, you should check under your home and make sure there isn’t a skunk under there as well. To avoid getting sprayed or injured have professional skunk removal service that can also provide skunk trapping and skunk proofing evaluate your home for you and provide some wildlife prevention tips to avoid this issue in the future.
How Do I Get Rid Of The Smell?
Home is the place you want to relax after a long day of work but that relaxation is quickly interrupted when the harsh skunk odor smacks you right in the face. Although, the odor will linger for a while here are some home remedies you can use to remove the potent smell from your home and your pet:
- Home: A simple tip you can do is fill bowls of vinegar and put them around different sections of your house to absorb the skunk smell (Source).
- Pet: In a spray bottle, mix together- 1-quart hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup of baking soda, 1 tsp liquid laundry soap or dish washer detergent. Use this mixture immediately and do not store as this mixture will expand and burst in a closed container (Source).
- Home: To clean outdoor structures, use a mixture of 10% bleach and 90% water (or detergent and water) to clean sprayed areas (such as a porch) that aren’t in danger in staining from the bleach. Because chlorine bleach is highly toxic, don’t use it to clean people, animals, furniture, or colored clothing (Source).
- Pet: What Not To Do – Tomato Juice, Pepsi, Lemon Juice, Regular Shampoo, Beer and Febreze. These remedies just mask the smell but don’t actually get rid of it completely.
Wildlife Control Services | Skunk Removal Services
We always strive to provide the customer and the wildlife with the safest and most effective management techniques at our disposal. We use ecologically sound and integrated control techniques in resolving human and animal conflicts. One area that Wildlife Control Services focuses on is Integrated Wildlife Management or IWM. IWM means looking at the whole picture in a given situation and combining several strategies for eliminating the problem.
Need help with skunk removal skunk trapping services? Call us at 860-236-2683